4 Q's you need to share origin story struggles

Share origin story struggles. Be who you are not who you wish you were. Gary Vaynerchuk
Share origin story struggles. Be who you are not who you wish you were. Gary Vaynerchuk

3 min read @ share origin story struggles

Let me begin by telling a story

Early in my career in human resources I was struggling to find my way. Looking back at school I struggled with ADD to pay attention in my classes.

I found one thing I was fairly good at was public speaking. So I thought maybe I could be a trainer so I could talk all day.


Click to start building your own influential personal brand personality-FREE


They all shared struggles in their origin stories

Back in 1989 I took the Dale Carnegie public speaking course. Our course textbook was, How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale himself. Dale talked about some of the struggles he had experienced building his career.

Another book I read to help me find my way was, The Power of Positive Thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale.  In his book Peale talked about the struggles he faced finding his way early in life.

Moving forward a few years, I got Tony Robbins’, Unleash the Power Within, CD series. I listened to Tony share struggles he had overcome and how they made him stronger.

Again as I read Zig Ziglar’s books I found he talked about struggles he had overcome. Zig shared many stories of struggles and how those struggles helped him build skills to succeed.

Even in Tom Peters book’, Innovation Revolution, Peters talks about struggling with assignments and clients. Most all of Tom’s examples of struggles related to what he had learned from them.

The common element: they shared learning from struggles in origin stories

What is common with all of these examples is they talked about struggles. They were able to share in their origin stories how struggles helped them become more effective.

The interesting thing is that I’ve never read that struggles were part of a personal brand. I just saw the pattern and highlighted it.

*Sorry these examples are all male. It was back in the  early 1990’s when I was finding my way. Back then I hadn’t found many women writing and publishing content like this.

What struggles could you share in your origin story?

Here are the questions and descriptions from the personal brand origin story builder exercise.
Be who you are, not who you wish you were. Gary Vaynerchuk9 STRATEGIES FOR PERSONAL BRANDING ONLINE IN 2019
For those who already completed the personal brand builder, this may be a review. However, these questions are more in depth.

1.1. What have you gone through to get where you are?

Description: HINT: Finish this statement: Thinking back on my life I believe a few of the times I grew most with my passion/clients/career/expertise were when I...

Boosting questions:
 1) When did you face self doubt, racism, prejudice, social rules, outdated thinking, abusive/alcoholic parent, etc. and yet, you became stronger?
 2) What background circumstances would have crippled others, but you have learned to use those circumstances as your advantage?

1.2. What have you tried that has not worked at first with your passion/clients/career/expertise?
Description: Hint: Finish this statement. When I first started with my passion/clients/career/expertise at first I struggled with/to…

1.3. When have you lost and learned from your struggles?
Description: Hint: Finish this statement. The biggest mistake/loss where I learned the most was when I…

1.4. How have you learned not to imitate others?
Description: Hint: Finish this statement. I learned not to imitate others and just be myself was when I...

Also, let me share examples to help you articulate your origin story

- First I tried to be a YouTuber like Casey Neistat and that didn't work.
- Then I tried to be bold and brash with my Live FB posts like GaryVee and that didn't work.
- Next I tried to be a digital marketer like Frank Kern and that didn't work.
- Also I tried to be a digital marketer like Mike Dillard and that didn't work.
- But, I learned from all of these people to help me show the online influential qualities in myself, and combined these qualities with the passionate teacher that I am. Now I am beginning to get traction and build momentum just being myself.

These statements may explain it better

- It’s important to not manipulate your image to overcome or hide faults and avoid criticism.
-The struggles and challenges in your life make you stronger. Also you are more able to deal bigger challenges and achieve your goals.
- You will want to show both your struggles and successes to help create an authentic persona. That authenticity makes you attractive and is easy for your audience to follow and to connect.

Here are some trigger questions to share your origin story struggles

- Where have you been in a situation that seemed hopeless, but yet you overcame the challenges?
- How did you go against the common beliefs of the group and face criticism, but in the end the group found you were correct?
- When did you face racism, prejudice, social rules, outdated thinking, abusive/alcoholic parent, etc. and yet you still achieved your goals?
- What background circumstances would have crippled others, but you have learned to use those circumstances as your advantage?

In the next few posts we will explore your brand origin story in more detail. So we want to help you craft your own struggles in your origin story.

See you next time.

Did you craft your personal brand origin story yet? So, are you still struggling to craft your personal brand origin story ? Please email me at drwarren@cict.co.

Click here to get the 12-Point Checklist.

Also, please check my site dedicated to helping others build online influence.

Build your influence at https://influenceyoursuccess.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers

4 Steps To Curate A Safe Place To Fail: Engaging Screenagers