The Mountain bike ride that changed my “Screenagers” life


The Mountain bike ride that changed my “Screenagers” life


On clear day back in the summer of 1994, I found myself on a mountain bike ride with a friend in beautiful Big Sur, California, overlooking the Pacific Ocean.  
I was riding with a friend who was in finishing her PhD in psychology, and I remember telling her I admired her effort and that learning had been a struggle for me all my life.

Big Sur
Big Sur







I was always in trouble because it was difficult for me to sit still and focus (now they call that ADD.)
I told her there had been a few teachers who had taken extra time and effort and truly inspired me to learn, excel, and follow my passions.  
I started my career in Human Resources was I wanted to support others to engage in their highest passions same way.
Although I had been in HR for over 5 years to move into training, and although I had done some training, I wanted to be a trainer full time.
But remember, I was living a life of Screenagers with all the distractions and low confidence, so I hadn’t followed my dream. Though we didn’t have the screens, my life was full of Junk Engagement, as I rarely experienced High Value Engagement.
That day I told my friend the times most I felt most alive was when I was doing high intensity gravitational sports where the adrenalin was flowing as fast as I was going.
After that she told me suggested I check out a book called Flow: The Psychology of the Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi









That recommendation changed my life.
Reading that book, I finally found a way I could be different and not be in trouble.
Then, I set my goal to become an expert on Optimal Engagement.
For the first time in my adult life, I was able to create a clear focus.
My focus? To engage my career helping, inspiring, and motivating other people, like me, who wanted to engage in the highest levels in their lives. 
After reading that book, I found my distraction a “gift” and learned to use my “gift” to support myself.
I went on to earn two Master’s Degrees (MA, MBA) and a Doctorate in Education (EdD) to support others with “gifts.”
I went from ADD to EdD. That doesn’t mean it’s been easy, but it has been worth it.
Think about it. When you look back in your life, it is the things you have given the most effort which have the most value in your memory.

Find your inspiration to change, help yourself and others.

You can see examples of screen innovations for Optimal Experiences at JOIN THE CURATION: Google+.
Remember to engage tomorrow.
Following with you.
Keep it simple.
All the Best, Warren
SOCIAL
Dr Warren LINGER © 2017




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers

4 Steps To Curate A Safe Place To Fail: Engaging Screenagers