What Could Go Wrong and How to Fix it Screenagers?

Seriously, new department, awesome manager, learning lots…what could go wrong?
Well, there is a difference between selling on the floor and working in Customer Service.
In Customer Service we were focused on Fixing the problems.
If you know anything about me by now, you will know that my nature is inherently focused on preventing problems.
In his book, The 80/20 Principle: The Secret of Achieving More with Less, Richard Koch talks about where we focus our time can make a big difference.  
I’ve learned (the hard way) that I have the most success when I spend only 20% of my time defining the problem and 80% of my time improving systems and therefore preventing the problem from happening again.
This is what Stephen Covey calls “Quadrant 2” work, problem prevention, in his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
But remember what I said yesterday about giving a little extra? That was my job if I wanted to work in that department.
On the sales floor we could support customers to become excited, surprised, happier, romanced, and all those shopping emotions
In Customer Service support the unhappy customers to be not unhappy, and because enrolling credit cards i mentioned yesterday, didn’t happen that often, Customer Service can be draining.
In fact, in my, “Execution Seminar: Learn the Best Tools to Execute Success,” participants actually work through a case study based on this situation.
What would you do?
Here is the scenario:
You are the manager and you have an employee who (we’ll call Joe) started well and lately he has developed lots of “opportunities for improvement.
  • He is grumpy employee
  • He doesn’t want to help do extra
  • He complains a lot
  • He will only work for a short time
  • He doesn’t want to sell extra
  • He is a downer for other colleagues
  • He is bringing down the mood for the whole department
What would you do?
(Usually someone in the seminar would ask, “Is this why this program is called ‘The Execution Seminar?’ Should we execute Joe?”)
Then groups form as they work on a solution.
Back together as a large group, each small group shout’s out suggestions.
They shout out ideas and I give feedback:
  • Threaten to fire him, and I say it woan’t work.
  • Threaten move him, and I say it woan’t work.
  • Train him, and I say it woan’t work.
  • Threaten to put him in a closet and lock it up for a week. (Seriously?)
  • Threaten to penalize him, and I say it woan’t work.
  • Ignore him, and I say it woan’t work.
In all the years I’ve been leading that program, suggestions have always started with these, Threats or Demands, and then the group starts moving toward looking at what Joe wanted.
Because the manager knew Joe and what he wanted she went to Joe and told him she could see he was unhappy.
She told Joe she know he wanted to go into training, and asked if he would be any happier if he could lead some customer service training sessions, and he agreed
The manager arranged for Joe to lead a 1 hour of Customer Service Training per week, so he could get training experience for his future aspirations.
Remember, it was 1 (one) hour a week to lead training
It worked.
All of those “opportunities” (as we called them in Nordstrom) gradually disappeared. After just a few weeks Joe was back to being a model team member.
Because that manager helped Joe with what he wanted, she then got what she wanted. Looking back on that scenario, the real key was the manager focused on what Joe wanted first.

Father and son, The Cap'n, at his school this morning
Father and son, The Cap’n, at his school this morning









Screenagers and others, you know, I will never forget her for that. I cannot thank her enough. I was struggling and she saw more in me than I saw in myself.
I firmly believe, because that manager saw it in me, I didn’t become a trainer in a company (my goal at the time), I built my own international training, coaching, and consulting company, and I’ve trained all levels of individuals all around the world.
I earned my Doctorate in Education focusing on training and development engagement, and I’ve even moved my operations to Hong Kong to benefit from distilling best the training and development engagement practices from both the East and the West.
Because of her, I’ve developed (and published top-tier academic journal articles on) award winning, world leading, blended-mobile training systems that track real-time engagement, understanding, interaction, and collaboration both inside and outside the training room
You may argue, because Joe was now training the new employees so then he had a reputation to live up to. You may be right, but I don’t think that was the primary motivation.
Every member of that manager’s team felt the same way, because that manager focused on what each team member wanted first.
She helped us get what we wanted first because it was the right thing to do.

Help others get what they want first and you’ll get loyalty.

You can see examples of screen innovations for Optimal Experiences on JOIN THE CURATION: Google+.
Remember, come join tomorrow to see Improving Your Customer Service with Screenagers inspirational ideas for Optimal Engagement in the ScreenAge.
Remember to engage tomorrow.
Following you then.
Keep it simple.
All the Best, Warren
SOCIAL
Dr Warren LINGER © 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers

4 Steps To Curate A Safe Place To Fail: Engaging Screenagers