3 Success Tips: Engaging Screenagers do You Want to do Less?

Dr Warren preparing to speak on Mobile Learning Engagement IMLF 2017 Conference

3 Success Tips: Engaging Screenagers do You Want to do Less?

Most every Engaging Screenager (aren’t we all) wants to know the easy way to success, right?
Whether it is learning, earning high marks, succeeding with family or any other optimal-engagement in life, we want to know the easy way (junk-engagement.)
Well, there is no easy way (junk-engagement) to success (optimal-engagement.)
There are, however, a few ways to make it easier to succeed and they all involve doing less.
Tip 1) Stop doing stupid stuff.
I know I mentioned this yesterday, but this is one of the most important ideas that the vast majority of people ignore.
Most people just keep doing what they have always done (junk-engagement) and then wonder why change is so difficult.
I had taken the GMAT a back in the early 1990’s, and it didn’t turn out well.
Why? Let’s see, my image of myself was that of an unconfident, ADD, struggling (but passionate lifelong learner) who didn’t think could succeed.
  • I was working a full time job with overtime.
  • I was a Graduate Assistant at Dale Carnegie course one night a week.
  • I was volunteering with the Leukemia Society 1 night a week.
  • I was volunteering for my fraternity 1 night a month.
  • I was taking HR courses at Cal (University of California, Berkeley) 1 night a week.
When I look back, I say to myself, “No wonder I felt so bad when I was trying to make changes in mylife.”
After I had been given a conditional (based on my entrance exam scores) approval for entering graduate school, I had landed a part-time job but wasn’t going to start work for another 5 weeks.
During those 5 weeks between jobs, I planned to study for the GRE exam.
This time I did what Stephen Covey calls begin with the end in mind.
At one point , I had a 5 week period where I had left one job and had  not yet started another job, and that was when I studied for the GRE exam.
This time I took a break from all my other activities too.
Because I had that break I set myself a regular schedule of study, practice exams (at a exam prep center), study, exercise, and practice exercises.
Zig Ziglar talks about the importance of setting and keeping a schedule and I cannot agree with him more.
The result? I scored in the top 80%, which was 30% higher than I had ever scored before and over 50% higher than I scored on the GMAT.
Tip 2) Get experts to show you how to start, but use them less (only important questions) once you are on your way.
I say do this only for a short time because your learning initiative and persistence muscles will atrophy.
Learning initiative and persistence are the 2 characteristics that will pay some of the most valuable rewards in your life.
Teaching Engaging Screenagers here in Hong Kong, I see that the majority of students go to tutor (or paid study hall) centres, and although these students are confident learners, have little learning initiative and persistence.
Let me share my example. I paid for 5 hours of GRE preparation lessons (mainly because they had a practice exam centre library where I could study without interruptions) and learned the basics of how to prepare for the exam.
The rest of the learning was still up to me, and I’m sorry to say learning initiative and persistence take as much time as they take to build.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying don’t use tutor centres (I used one,) but i”m just saying be careful to not become dependent on them   
Tip 3) Spend less time studying by yourself and more time studying with a group.
Create your group of 4 equally committed (who you can see [everyone will ‘tell’ you they] want to succeed and available (if they are too busy find someone else) learners.
Remember, you will want to study on your own to prepare (BTW, preparing ahead will triple your group study value.) before studying with others, but studying together while staying focused on learning, discussing, explaining, etc. together is far more productive than studying on your own.

Dr Warren preparing to speak on Mobile Learning Engagement IMLF 2017 Conference
Dr Warren preparing to speak on Mobile Learning Engagement IMLF 2017 Conference








The collaborative and interactive aspects of learning are what multiply the value of your learning time.
My online and face-to-face courses are all designed for collaborative and interactive learning with mobile devices, because the interactive collaboration greatly improve understanding, remembering, etc., and most everyone always has at least one device with them at all times.


In the end, it all comes down to spending less time, energy, and focus on those things that are keeping you from improving.

Do less, to open more time, energy, and focus for success.

You can see examples of screen innovations for Optimal Experiences at JOIN THE CURATION: Google+.
Remember to engage tomorrow.
Following with you.
Keep it simple.
All the Best, Warren
SOCIAL
Dr Warren LINGER © 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

4 Steps To Curate A Safe Place To Fail: Engaging Screenagers

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers