Part-2 What Work Tools That Work for Engaging Screenagers?

DrWarren prepping for Engaging Screenagers Conference Session Presentation at IMLF 2017

Part-2 What Work Tools That Work for Engaging Screenagers?

Years ago I was struggling to get my Engaging Screenagers to engage in learning when they were so easily distracted with their mobile devices.
By the way, middle and lower managers are much worse at allowing their devices to distract them from learning and I have often wondered if that is why they are not upper managers who turn off their devices so they can focus on learning, training, coaching, etc..
As I was one of a few instructors in my university who didn’t approve of learners using devices in the classroom (others allowed/didn’t mind and when I stopped learners from using them I was suddenly quite unpopular,) I knew the learners could be more engaged in learning.  
One night I was in a workshop with the University General Education coordinator and he said, “Just have the learners use their devices to, go find an example or definition.”
What? You mean I could have them learn with their devices in the classroom?
I was on a new mission to get them busy with their devices to build value in learning.

DrWarren prepping for Engaging Screenagers Conference Session Presentation at IMLF 2017
DrWarren prepping for Engaging Screenagers Conference Session Presentation at IMLF 2017








Again I struggled with finding the best method to do this, but after while, I figured out some best practices to better learning, but still I felt there was more opportunity for improvement.
As I side note, a few months after that workshop, I was a guest lecturer for a 2-day MBA nano course on Sustainability Management, in Mainland China and I asked learners use their devices in class on the first day of the course.
The following day, I found myself eating lunch with the VC of the university as she was grilling me about how I learned to use, and what were best practices to use devices for learning in class.
In May 2014, I presented an academic paper on ePortfolios at the eLearning Form Asia (eLFA) conference, and at that conference I saw a session on Google Apps for Education.
I went back to my University and started to test these new Google Apps for Education tools.  
That’s when I found ound Google Forms, and it was quite easy to use, had multiple questions functions, and I could include images and videos and links to the internet.  
Not only that, but using an add-on called Flubaroo, I could set automatic grading to give students instant responses in their email inboxes.
This was not an easy implementation as they say in the computer world.
I struggled for several months to learn how to make the Google Forms work, and then I struggled for many more months to make sure they worked well, and still many more months to use all the features that were available.
Soon after I started using Google Forms I found I could see what students were submitting, so I knew right away if they were understanding the material.  
Later, I began to include different types of questions on learning understanding (or not) and engagement, and even rating the exercises so I could know so much more about the class and my teaching than ever before.
As only a few students had laptops they could bring to class, they were not a good tool, but because all my learners had mobile devices and took them everywhere they went, learning with devices became quite popular after the first few weeks of class.
As I mentioned in a previous blog, after 10’s of 1000’s of hours in class, I can count on 1 hand the number of times a student forgot or didn’t bring his or her device to class.
There were however charging issues so I would try to bring at least 3 portable phone chargers to every class.
Using mobile devices to engage learners in the classroom has totally changed the way I lead classes now, and I use these interactive tools for face-to-face and online courses, as well as mentoring and coaching.
Just think, if I hadn’t been struggling to improve engagement and found that students could use their devices to search for examples, definitions, etc., 1000’s of learners wouldn’t have benefited from blended learning.
Don’t you have an idea that could help your Engaging Screenagers benefit greatly?
Wouldn’t it be a shame if you didn’t share your idea that could help Engaging Screenagers?
Can you imagine how the world would miss out if you didn’t share your ideas?
What is stopping you? Isn’t it only limiting beliefs?

Push beyond limiting beliefs share value with everyone.

You can see examples of screen innovations for Optimal Experiences at JOIN THE CURATION: Google+.
Remember to engage tomorrow.
Following with you.
Keep it simple.
All the Best, Warren
SOCIAL
Dr Warren LINGER © 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

6 Loves-Teachers and Students Analytics Engaging Screenagers