Part-4 Why Afraid to Teach Engaging Screenagers w Technology?

DrWarren presenting from an Engaging Screenager Interactive eWorkbook

Part-4 Why Afraid to Teach Engaging Screenagers w Technology?

More specifically why don’t they use Google Forms when:
  • you pay nothing, they’re free
  • you don’t need to learn much, they’re easy to use
  • you can encourage interactivity, they’re naturally more active
  • you can track what’s going on in your class
  • you can monitor your students’ growth in real-time
  • you can continually collect learning analytics to improve (teaching and learning)
  • you can mass customize lesson, exercises, and modules
I find in all my work with the teachers, lecturers, trainers, etc. they come into three different groups when it comes to using technology tools in the classroom, training room, or seminar.
Group 1, consists of those teachers (I’ll use the term “teacher” hear meaning anyone who teaches) with little or no experience of using Google tools, but they’re risk takers and these includes both technology teachers and non technology teachers.
Group 2, (surprisingly, at least for me) contains technology people who understand technology well and use technology or even teach technology, but they don’t use Google Forms to make learning just one step better.
One commonly misunderstood idea I continually get from this group is that they already feel their students are engaged because the students are using computers as they’re teaching.
What if they could use a great tool to take their learners one step higher?
Group 3, is by far the largest group and these are the teachers who can’t see themselves using technology to help their class members learn.
Which is good I spent several hundred hours conducting in-depth interviews and asking my best coaching questions to explore what is happening in their minds and beliefs.
And what it comes down to is, “I don’t believe I can do it.”
This Group 3 consists of 3 types of thinking.
Type A) Non-believers tell me:  “I just don’t believe I can teach with technology.” I don’t see the need to even know my students are asking for it societies timing to do it administration someone has to do it parents want me to do it.
When they look into the mirror they are telling themselves they feel they cannot use technology to teach their students.
W. Timothy Gallwey talks about this interference in The Inner Game of Tennis.
Type B) Better-than-technology tell me: “I’ve the expertise, I’ve gone to school, I’ve gained all these credentials, and I’ve this position of a teacher, so the students must listen to what I say.”
Don’t get me wrong, I laud and admire the many brilliant educators in the world, and yet aren’t there some students who just don’t connect with this? (junk engagement)
I’m just pointing out the fact that one person knowing and another person learning are 2 very different engagement experiences.
By using technology to learn, students can learn how to learn with their devices as well as to adapt the learning content to their own specific interests and goals.
Also, when all of the classroom learning is combined together, their contributions make a huge brain with different experiences, points of view, and applications, and the best way to capture that learning is with technology.

Because each learner has different strengths as Tom Rath writes in StrengthsFinder 2.0, all learners can contribute something unique.
Type C) Resistors tell me: “I just don’t want to change what I’m doing.
They see that what they doing has in the past generated fairly effective results and some of them can be quite engaging as teachers.
What if they could do more, and what if they could engage better with more channels of learning in the same classroom?
DrWarren presenting from an Engaging Screenager Interactive eWorkbook
DrWarren presenting from an Engaging Screenager Interactive eWorkbook







One problem with Groups 2 & 3 is they can’t see the opportunities for their own improvement and for ways to prevent overlooking students that they don’t know are falling behind until it’s too late.
Remember back in the day when manufacturers said it was acceptable to have 5% of the products fail?
This is similar when teachers just accept that 5% of their students are not going to do well, and I’ve not okay with that.
It’s interesting how most of us talk ourselves out of trying, and once we do try, it’s a whole new world.
In my courses I have teachers dive right in and start making Google Forms, and once they see how easy it is, most all of they ask, “Why didn’t I try before?” (optimal engagement)



Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to adapt new engaging tools for Engaging Screenagers?
Isn’t it the oldest among us who are responsible for decisions on using tools?
Couldn’t it, in the long run, be a better idea to let Engaging Screenagers help choose interactive learning tools?

Breakthrough your terror barrier to do the right thing.

You can see examples of screen innovations for Optimal Experiences at JOIN THE CURATION: Google+.
Remember to engage tomorrow.
Following with you.
Keep it simple.
All the Best, Warren
SOCIAL
Dr Warren LINGER © 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers

4 Steps To Curate A Safe Place To Fail: Engaging Screenagers